Sunday, August 7, 2011

Yellowstone

During my husband's family reunion we took a day trip over to Yellowstone.  It had been several years since we had been there and I wanted to get some pictures.  Yellowstone is pretty much one big steaming valley! =)  I had a good time, but after a while the kids would say "Look, another steaming hole in the ground".  Here are some pictures I took.


I loved the thermal pools.  Such beautiful, vivid color.  Don't get too close though, these bad boys are hot, hot, hot.







It's crazy how you have beautiful colorful pools in some areas and then other areas look like a barren wasteland.



What gives the thermal pools their color is the bacteria that can survive there.  I took a closeup of this bacteria, I loved the color!


Of course we had to see Old Faithful.


This is the first time I have seen the Lower Falls.  I don't know what makes the water green here.


Here are several of the geysers.

This one looked like two eyes and a nose!








And, we were able to see a little bit of wildlife. 



1 comments:

Maureen August 12, 2011 at 6:42 PM  

Breathtaking pictures! I hope you used a telephoto lens on some of those and didn't get too close!